Thursday, August 25, 2011

Baby Ryan


I didn’t sleep much at all last night. Mom said that she woke up and heard me snoring so she knows that I slept for a few minutes at least. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been wide awake for that long. Ryan had a pretty good night last night. When he was first born is blood sugar was understandably low and they had to give him sugar mixture through his IV to keep his sugar at an acceptable level. This morning his glucose has corrected itself and he has required insulin to bring his sugar down to a more normal level. He is still on pretty low vent settings and just a touch of dopamine for his blood pressure. His pH was more acidotic but by noon it had corrected itself very nicely per the doctor.


Little guys his age/size cannot make red blood cells so they have to be careful and watch how much blood is removed from their system. He is getting his first of probably many blood transfusions that he will require while he is in the hospital. He is still being a very feisty little fella. He pretty much gets sedation and pain medications on schedule to help him rest. Feisty is a good thing but right now they need him to conserve his energy and us every bit he has to grow and stay well.

After the loss of a child some of the smallest unnoticeable things mean the most. Today we were able to fill out the paperwork for Ryan’s birth certificate! It felt so good to see those words “Live Birth” on all the paperwork. We had to document this special occasion!!


We were already on an emotional “high” after completing his paperwork and then Dean was able to “hold” Ryan for the first time. My big scary army man turned into mush when he was able to cup Ryan’s head in his hand. He and Daddy had their first (of many) “talks.” It was precious!!


I’m not moving the best today but the good news is that I AM moving! We visited the little guy several times today in between naps. Dean was able to take these precious pictures with our phone from inside Ryan’s bed.


When I delivered Jackson I went to the hospital with absolutely nothing. I had it in my mind that the next time I delivered I would be more prepared! Little did I know I would find myself in the same situation with nothing at the hospital. Thank the Lord for camera phones! Most of his first pictures were taken with our phones until my sister was able to bring my camera from home.

My camera arrived at lunch and Dean took one of my absolute favorite pictures of Ryan. He also received his first nick-name after this picture. He looks so much like a little Smurf!! Speaking of Smurfs Dean took him is Papa Smurf to watch over him. When dad passed away and the Smurfs came out at Build-A-Bear Dean made an assimilation between Papa Monkey and Papa Smurf. We bought all three of the boys a tiny Papa Smurf to remind them of their Papa Monkey. He said that they may not be able to touch Papa Monkey but they could carry and hug their Papa Smurf at any time. He now resides on Ryan’s monitors overlooking his bed.  




He was also given a few special blankets that were Jackson’s. We were given three blankets in Jackson’s keepsake box. He only spent time with one of the blankets. I had his Auntie Lesha bring up the two blankets that Jackson did not use. Both my boys were very close in size and length at birth so these blankets fit in his bed perfectly. He now has mementoes from both Papa and Big Brother in his room with him. I know they are both watching over him from heaven and it is nice having the visual reminders also.

No comments:

Post a Comment