Thursday, September 15, 2011


Our baby boy is THREE weeks old!!

He had a much better (behavior) night last night! He is resting well and they have been able to decrease his ventilator settings down! He remains on room air. The doctor has begun to taper his steroid dose down! His weight was down an ounce this morning to 1lb 6oz but that is due to the loss of the extra fluid on his body.

He has tolerated his feedings well so far. There hasn’t been any residual feed in his tummy. He may have to have a baby enema this evening if he hasn’t had a bowel movement but this is just a precaution to make sure his system is moving through the way it should.
He is also tolerating position changes much better today than he has in the past! We spoke with the cardiologist today and he said that the valve in his heart that was leaky has resolved itself. He is going to watch his left ventricle. The doctor said that the left ventricle is being a little lazy but that this should also resolve itself as he continues to grow and his lungs heal. The doctor also said that right now he is not going to order a repeat test at this time. He is going to let Ryan grow and his organs mature and then he will order a recheck.
I’m a little saddened but at the same time relieved. Ryan will no longer be able to take breast milk. My breast milk has been making him sick and giving him setbacks. They did a culture on the milk and it is unsafe for him to drink. It shouldn’t affect me but just as a precaution I will take a week of antibiotics. They said there ‘might’ be a change that the milk would culture negative in between 1-3 months but after looking at the pros and cons we’ve decided that it isn’t worth it to continue to pump. I’ve been sick with allergies, sinus drainage that gives me respiratory problems, a headache that never goes away, and we won’t even mention how the c-section incision hurts during and after a coughing/sneezing fit! Ryan is doing very well on his formula feeds so it is best that we stick to that. I’m going to restart all my sinus/allergy medications (meds that I’ve stopped to try to help with pumping/supply) that way I can get some rest and heal before returning to work. I’m a little sad because I felt that that was one of the few things that I could do for him but it just isn’t worth me continuing to feel run down and losing energy when I need all the energy I can find to care for him when he is able to come home.


We thank you for all your continued prayers and support. I just ask that you remember all the other babies and families in the NICU and also those who’ve had premature infants who are home now and dealing with an array of health issues! They also need many prayers. When you have a premature infant you’re allowed to eventually bring them home but often times the medical care that they need doesn’t stop when they leave the hospital. It still remains but the lifeline/ support from the nurses is no longer there. Please remember these families in your prayers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment