Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ryan had a very good night! He had two dirty diapers! He is tolerating his feeds well and the doctor has increased his feeds this morning. They have been able to continue to wean down some of his ventilator settings and he pretty much stays right around room air on his oxygen. He is having less desaturation events. I 'witnessed' my first real desaturation event today equipped with heart rate decreased in the 90's! I won't lie it scared me to death even though I knew that he would be fine after he was deep suctioned. It amazes me how calm and collected the nurses are working with our little miracles! I can do that with big all day but they are truly angels to take care of our babies (and help keep the mommas somewhat sane).
I received a BIG treat this afternoon. Nurse S allowed me to help her change Ryan’s position in the bed. It sounds simple but in order to change his position I was able to put my hands under his snuggie and pick him up! He made this face when she wouldn’t allow him to put his hand behind his head. This was the closest that either of us have come to actually getting to hold our son! I wish I remembered more about how he heavy (or light) he felt but we had to get him repositioned in a timely manner. It’s funny at times how the simple everyday things make us the happiest. I know one day changing diapers will become a daunting task but right now it is one of the highlights of our days!

Ryan allowed us to see him open both eyes at the same time today! He hears us talking to him and he will start to wiggle his eye brows and pull his eyelids with his facial muscles until he can get his eyes open. I can only imagine how we look to him. He just stares at us as we stare and talk to him. We did catch a grin today also. I made the comment on how he had his daddy's and brothers 'look' on his face he gave the biggest grin as we laughed.

I know I cannot say this enough but I absolutely love listening to Dean talk to Ryan. He is such a sweet and loving daddy! Any time that he can give him kisses on his forehead he normally gives him at least three! My uncle Jack came to see Ryan this evening. He told Ryan many stories about Papa and his Great Papaw! It was sweet to hear my uncle telling Ryan about my dad and the things that they used to get into when they were younger. It was also nice to hear my uncle include my papaw in their stories also.
Both Dean and my Uncle Jack had to give the nurses a hard time about Ryan’s feedings. Dean seems to think that since he was born on Dec 5 and he ate Christmas dinner that year that Ryan should be more than ready to eat Christmas dinner this year. No more than five minutes later (and neither of them heard each other’s conversations) my Uncle comes in as Ryan’s feeding pump beeped singnaling that it had finished. My uncle then decided to inform the nurses that Ryan told him that he requested seconds! Jack then proceeded to teach him all about tipping waiters. Why do I have a feeling that the next time these two ‘talk’ I may need to prescreen the conversation?? (who only knows what stories he can make up about me).

No comments:

Post a Comment