Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Today was simply Amazing!!!!



Ryan has been tolerating his feedings. The doctor increased his calories to 23. The rate will remain the same for now. He had his first eye exam today. The MD said that his eyes were very immature (which we knew) and that he would recheck his eyes in two weeks. The nurse told us that normally if the doctor sees something that is concerning they recheck the eyes weekly. So for now we are going to be grateful for our two week time span!


I visited with Ryan before work and once again he was a little ham! He isn’t too keen on laying on his side and when his nurses place him there his hand seem to cover his face as if he is trying round up sympathy.


He has a new size diaper in his drawer now. This diaper is a premie diaper that they sell at the store. It swallows him whole but it is so good to see him growing!!


I could just picture the word bubbles above his head reading….
“Oh my goodness not this again!”



“I’m Soooo over this”

“See Mommy . . . . I blow kisses!”



Dean said that Ryan was NOT happy with his diaper change this evening. They apparently had to have another Ryan/Daddy “talk.” Dean said that Ryan had both hands moving and trying to keep Dean from changing his diaper. Dean would get one hand moved to the side and Ryan would slide the opposite hand between himself and the diaper attempting to stop the operation!


He can be such a character! We might be in trouble! He is already showing signs of being too smart for his own good!!!

I was able to experience the best feeling in the world today. Ryan and I were able to do Kangaroo Care! I was worried that he might be to feisty and squirmy to hold his Sats for any length of time but he blew any and all expectations out the window!


She placed him on my chest and he immediately calmed. (He calmed so much that he filled his diaper but that is another story).

We all were concerned with him extubating himself by moving his head but he never moved his head at all! His breathing tube stayed in perfect place the entire time.

It was a joy to feel his little movements. I haven’t felt him move like that since probably two weeks before he was born. It was so neat to see his hand movements and feel them on my chest. I could remember what those felt like when he was still stretching and moving from inside me. I was so amazed and proud of how well he tolerated kangaroo care! He even found his thumb while cuddling with Mommy!

While he is this small it is only recommended we hold him around twice a week. Today we fulfilled another first. My first time to hold my son’s Life Filled body on my chest. I’ve seen so many pictures and shows of mothers who get to feel and have their child placed on their chest as soon as they are born. I’ve now had two children and two very different experience neither of which has be “normal.’ Today was my first time to experience the feeling of my son moving and cuddling on my chest!


What a difference 7 months can make!!

No comments:

Post a Comment