Wednesday, November 23, 2011

14 Weeks

We’ve had a Very Busy day! I have to say I have completely LOVED getting to take care of Ryan! It’s been a tiny glimpse into what life should and hopefully soon will be like.

In order to take a bottle they insist that he be swaddled. He isn’t enjoying swaddling much. He pretty much demands to be able to move his arms/hands!


I’m looking forward to many more early morning with my little man! I can’t help but smile this morning as I held him in my arms and listened to his little ‘voice.’

Poor little guy is having some tummy issues. He has tremendous gas! He would most certainly make his Papa proud! Hopefully he will be taken off the iron supplements soon so he’ll have more frequent stinky diapers and less tummy troubles!


Today Dr. B told us that he remembers Everything about our little man. He said that he knows Exactly who he is when he sees his isolette cover. He discontinued Ryan’s caffeine today. We are praying this transition to life without caffeine goes smoothly. They will be watching him closely for heart and pulse ox drops over the next several days.

Ryan has been scooting himself around his snuggly lately. This morning I caught him worming his little body toward the edge of the isolette then stopping once his little fingers were touching the sides.

I had my first Thanksgiving cry this morning. I’ve had the privilege of holding Ryan in my arms while eating my meals the last few days. Today at lunch I was thinking how thankful I was to get to opportunity to spend a few days with my son when it hit me. I should be feeding a 6 month old this Thanksgiving. It’s hard. I wouldn’t trade Ryan for anything in the world but at the same time my heart aches for my first little man.

Once I pulled myself together I ‘snuck’ Ryan his first (microscopic) taste of sweet tatters. Dean still insists that Ryan will be able to eat Christmas. Momma just beat Daddy to the punch!

Sadly our time in Ryan’s private room came to an end this evening. I’m still having mixed emotions about his move. It’s hard after 14 weeks getting a taste of home then switching back to life in the NICU.
We did have a little bit of fun while they were moving Ryan to his new room. Dean and I went a picked out our Christmas tree for Ryan’s First Christmas!
This is the first year that we were able to pick out our tree before the crème of the crop had been picked over!

The farm smelled Amazing!

Since our first Christmas Dean has taken my love for Christmas and impressed me with his Christmas tree picking abilities!

HE found our Christmas tree this year. (Of course we looked around before buying but he had listened and seems to understand what I expect in a tree)


Funniest thing is we saw a couple measureing their tree according to their husbands hight. .. .not two hours earlier Dean and I had the same discussion at lunch that a tree about his height would be perfect for the house! Since we saw another couple with the same methodolgy we are now sure that this is an acceptable form of Christmas tree measurement!!


A visit to the tree farm is never complete without seeing the animals.

I may have to rethink Ryan’s tree cutting ensemble.
Apparently Camo and barnyard animals gets kind of interesting!

You wouldn’t think goats would stray from tin cans but they
seemed to be very interested in Dean’s Camo jacket.


The donkey tried to get an early supper when Dean went to pet him!
He started nibbling at deans arm.
Saddest part about it the poor
donkey left his hay to ‘taste’ Dean’s shirt!!
When we arrived at the tree farm Dean swore up and down that he saw a baby pig
and I HAD to see it after we bout our tree. We get to the pin where he said
he saw it and no sign of a pig what-so-ever!


Dean once again insisted that the markings on the ground were made by the pig and that it had to be hiding inside the barn house. Smarty Pants me says “Here piggy piggy piggy.”
 
 
As if right on cue the baby pig comes runny and snorting out of the house and straight to me!
Overall we had a very nice day. I can’t lie and say I don’t miss caring for my little boy. I’m just trying to keep it in the front of my mind that this is a step toward coming home. We shouldn’t be in this unit to terribly long. Dr. B said today we should be safe in thinking that we can have our little one home by Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment