Monday, November 14, 2011

First Bottle!!!

I’m sooo excited!! Ryan took another step toward being a BIG boy today. He took his first drinks from a bottle!!! He pulled his OG feeding tube out and the nurse said that since his oxygen was off that she put an NG (nasal gastric) tube down his nose to his tummy to get him prepared for bottle feedings. He was extremely fussy so she gave him his first drinks from a bottle. He took a whole 5mls. She said he could have taken more but that she didn’t want him to tire out too soon.
I was given the BEST surprise this evening. I made it up in time to change Ryan (twice actually). He was very wide eyed and alert this evening! His nurse peaked in and asked “are you going to be here for his 8 o’clock feeding?” When I told her yes she told me she we would try a bottle!!!

This absolutely MADE my day! I had the opportunity to feed around 2pm this afternoon but when the nurse remembered that I was downstairs working she told me I could feed him only if changed cloths. My lunch isn’t long enough for that so I didn’t push it. Last thing Ryan needs is for me to rush him eating and aspirate. When the night nurse said that I could feed him I couldn’t believe it!!

I just realized when I wrote the date of this entry that it is the 14th.
The 14th of any month has held great significance since Jackson was born on the 14th.
It seems like several of Ryan’s ‘milestones’ have occurred on the 14th.


 I praise God for this. The 14th is often a day that I’m exceptionally sad but never really have a reason until I look at calendar and figure out that it’s the 14th. It makes me smile. 10 months after the Worst day of our lives I experienced one of the BEST days of my life!! I was able to bottle feed MY Baby for the First Time!!


Ryan had a very good night. No oxygen or pulse drops overnight! The doctor increased his caffeine medication and gave him a bolus. His level was slightly lower and he said that he was metabolizing it much faster now.

He had a very good day with Gammie.
She was able to hold him for around two hours this afternoon!


When I went to visit him his room was set up exceptionally nice.

He had his toys on his bed and his outfit picked out for the night!

I’m so excited about Ryan’s first bottle feed that I’m entirely scatterbrained!


I’m just soo thankful . . . Overjoyed . . . and just Happy!!

 I nearly forgot! Ryan weighed 1450 grams this evening. He only gained 20 grams since the last weight. This is actually pretty good since he has been working to keep his Sats up without the aide of the oxygen! Then to add a bottle feeding this morning!!!

Ryan has begun to figure out how to keep his pacci in his mouth! I tucked him in bed and gave him his pacci. He began sucking and pushed it out of his mouth. Next thing I saw was him take his hands and push his pacci into his mouth! He is gettin smarted and smarter every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment