Saturday, December 17, 2011

Life on a Living Rollar Coaster!

Talk about Roller Coaster of a day! I’ve felt crummy and spent most of the
day in bed resting. (7 days a week at the hospital is draining!)
During our usual call to check on Ryan it was suggested to us that we try to be at the hospital more so that we can ask the doctor what the plan is and inquire about a button. He hasn’t taken more than 15mls from a bottle in one sitting today. After getting very very down I’m now feeling a bit better.
He DID have his shots last night. He was running a low grade temp throughout the night/day due to his shots last night AND they are now attempting to bottle feed him at every feed that he is awake. It is understandable that he didn’t eat as well as he could have! He is also still having great difficulty with his gas pains. This is also contributing to his poor eating. So after being nearly as low as we could get I had to remind myself that the doctors do have a plan and that is to control his gas and give Tylenol to get him through his first shots! Why we were given all the info on the button I’m not sure but if I can figure out a logical reason as to why his bottles have slowed down why can’t his nurses??
Dean and I spent some quality time with Ryan this evening! We watched Frosty, The story of Santa, and Country Christmas.
Ryan was Wide awake this evening. He is still passing some severe gas but with the aide of his gas medicine he is somewhat better. It is working better for him taking the gas medicine 30 minutes before his feeding time.
Ryan MADE our day tonight!! His weight is back up!! He is once again 2390 grams!! That’s back to 5lbs 4oz!!
He also took a WHOLE feeding by bottle for his daddy!!!!!I cannot tell you how much this helped our spirits!! We understand a button maybe a possibility and we are fine with that but I’m starting to understand the MD’s hold out on the button. Given the right situation Ryan is more than capable of taking a complete feeding.  They are determined to find the right determinates to getting him to take his feeds.
Since I’ve rested most of the day I’m wide awake in the middle of the night. I just checked on Ryan and he took 45mls at his 11pm feeding! That is just 3mls shy of his complete bottle BUT he took 50 at 8pm so it has evened itself out!!!
We are soo proud of him!! I just pray he keeps up the good work. There is still a definite possibility that he may need a formula change and also still the very possibility of a button but it is nice to get good news periodically!!

No comments:

Post a Comment