Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Caffeine!!

Our little man received his first ‘taste’ of caffeine today!

Dr. N started Ryan on IV caffeine today and tomorrow he will receive caffeine through his feeding tube daily. This is supposed to help with getting him ready to come off of the ventilator!

He also decreased some of his vent settings. Weaning the vent and taking the tube out all together scares the mess out of me but at the same time I can’t wait to hear him make noises! I’ve had two silent births and to hear my child make any kind of noise. . . I just can’t imagine how that will feel!

Ryan has been happier today his feeds resumed at his 8am feeding. They are also no longer mixing Alimentum and Similac. He is only receiving Similac! Even better news is that he is tolerating his feeds very well. He is having regular stinky diapers and doing very well on wet diapers since the Bumex has been disconnected!!!

Ryan only had one minor bump overnight. His blood sugar was down to 15 this morning on his labs most likely because his feeds were held while receiving blood. The doctor had them start D10 through his IV until his feeds were resumed. His sugar is now much better.

 

Hopefully he won’t have to have the IV for much longer. He likes to remind me by waving his arm and making his crying face when I tell him I can’t help him with the IV.

He is too precious when he is sleeping. When i visited him at lunch today he had his hands folded together. At one point it looked as if he had praying hands.

He reached for my finger and crasp both my hands and fell back to sleep. I could sit and watch him grow all day long!

Ryan received his second IV dose of caffeine this evening. He should be well wired for the night shift.

I guess we will have to wait a bit longer for his days/nights to straighten out!

I almost forgot! He had his second eye exam today and he is staying on his every two week schedule for eye exams!!

No comments:

Post a Comment