Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ryan has many nicknames. Today he lived up to his nickname of lil stinker/ lil booger! He has really started mastering the movement of his arms/hands. He loves to have his hand by his face and often he will grip his breathing tube with his hand. At first this was nothing concerning but as he has gotten bigger and stronger they now have to worry about him pulling his tubes out.

They try to give him an ‘inch’ and place a piece of fabric over the tubes to allow him to place his hand by his face as he wishes.


Today he was totally being a lil stink though and you could see it in his eyes that he was desperately trying to figure out how to get his hand under the fabric.

I’m certain Ryan will be able to do anything he sets his mind to even if it means moving mountains. He has shown great courage and determination in his five weeks we have been blessed to watching him grow and develop.



Sometimes that determination gets him into trouble. . .

 He finally figured out how to get his hand somewhat under the fabric.


I keep saying I’m not exactly sure what God has in store for our son but I know it is something special! He is one amazing little boy. I tell him daily how proud I am of him!


His feedings were increased to 14mls every three hours. They are still at 24 calories. His tummy is still soft and he is doing very well with his diapers! He had some minor vent changes this morning. His oxygen ranges from 22-24%.

He will be weighed and measured again tomorrow night. I LOVE the nights he is weighed. It is always so exciting to hear he has gained!


His nurse D and him made some special art work and surprised us with it this morning. I joke and say this is the first piece of fridge art that was sent home from his teachers. I love these little feet soo much!


Ryan is in a good place. His main goal now is to rest and grow. He needs to grow at a steady pace and his lungs need to continue to develop so that in the next few weeks he can come of the ventilator.


He was too sweet tonight. I can normally rub his back slightly and he falls asleep at this time we usually step out for the day/night. Apparently he has figured me out!


His eyes were soo heavy but he was trying desperately to hold them open and look at me this evening. I felt so bad leaving him before he was asleep but knew that the longer I stayed the longer he would fight sleep. I didn’t want my actions to cause him to become fussy and hurt his breathing.


I guess this is just another one of those ‘mommy’ things that we must learn to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment