Monday, October 24, 2011

Theme of the Day. . . .BIG

Ryan has had a very BIG day!


 This morning he had a routine ECHO. I ran upstairs this morning during some downtime and was able to hold Ryan’s hand and help him ‘get through’ his ECHO.

He was not a very happy camper when I walked in. He apparently is fonder of his cloths than I had thought! He was stripped down to his diaper with sticky goo on his chest.

Mommy had to help keep his fingers out of the goo so the tech could complete his ECHO.


Ryan had a handful of orders today. His feeds were increased to 21mls every three hours. He is getting a caffeine bolus and his sodium dose had been increased.



We received BIG news regarding Ryan’s Echo. It was perfectly normal. The issues that the heart had of being lazy has resolved themselves just as the doctor had believed they would.

I received a BIG call while I was at work today. We were told if we ever needed to know anything the NICU would call. So far I’ve only received two calls both of which were positive. The first was a while again and nurse B let us know that they had successfully restarted his IV after it had stopped working. She said she wanted me to know that it was in and not to be thinking our little man was getting poked repeatedly all night. The second came today. Nurse S (his other hospital momma along with nurse B) called to tell me that he was getting a new bed. He was being moved into an isolette. She then stopped took a deep breath and said “And they asked me if he was ready for step-down and I couldn’t lie.”


Ryan now has a new BIG boy bed. I have very mixed emotions on his new bed. I am extremely happy that he is getting better and moving to the new unit but we are all sad that nurse S doesn’t work in the step-down unit. She is sweet she told me that her and Ryan ‘talked’ about his new move throughout the day so he would be ready for the change. She has had many ‘talks’ with Ryan over the last 8+ weeks. She did tell me on the phone that she WOULD have to go across the hall and play with him!

I did think of one neat First Ryan will have in the morning. He will see/feel his first Sunshine. His room has a window above his isolette and the sun will shine into our little man’s eyes for the first time tomorrow!

In all of our mixed emotions of changing rooms I almost for the best part of our day. He weighed in at 1070 grams last night! That is 2lbs 6ozz. He is gaining weight like a little weed! It seems like it took an eternity to get to 1lb 6oz and now that we have broken the 2lb mark he has been packing on the pounds quickly!


My family treated me to a few early birthday present today. Dean and Gammie cleaned out Ryan’s room and put together Ryan’s crib! The thought of a crib in the house has seemed so far away and unlikey. To see the crib in his room and know we have a happy healthy little one to bring home to it just makes my day!

I was also treated to some amazing signing at Applebee’s and came home to the gorgeous bouquet of flowers!

 If I knew I could get away with it I would seriously call into work tomorrow so that I could start decorating Ryan’s room!

No comments:

Post a Comment