Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ryan has had a very good day today. He is back on his regular feeds and seems to be a different little man with a full tummy! His rate on the vent has been decreased to 32! He has been holding his oxygen well and is on around 22%! I noticed something new about Ryan while I was in with him this afternoon. He can now grip our finger with all four fingers AND his thumb. He is really starting to learn the use of his thumb!


Today was a special day for Ryan and Daddy!


Dean was able to hold Ryan for the first time this evening. He required slightly more oxygen during this time but other than that he did amazing!


He was curious at first and had to feel along daddy’s wooly chest. Once he knew for sure it was Daddy Ryan reached back and wrapped his hand around Dean’s finger.


It was absolutely the most precious sight!


I only got teary eyed once. I didn’t get emotional when I held Ryan but there was just something about seeing Dean holding Ryan on his chest next to Jackson’s memorial footprints.


We have had some of the best nurses during our stay! Tonight our nurse had every reason to tell us that she and the unit as a whole were too busy to hold our son. I know she didn’t have the time but she made the time to allow Dean to hold Ryan and to make the time special.


Nurse A has been such a blessing to us! While I was still in the hospital she pulled the curtain to Ryan’s room, looked at me, and told me that it was ‘ok’ to cry. She said she had been in the same position several years ago with her son and that after a full day of being strong and greeting everyone that there comes a time that Mom needs take for herself and let the tears fall. She sat and talked with me for a long time as I cried. I’ll never forget that night. Ryan was doing well but she knew the words that I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment