Sunday, October 2, 2011

It just hit me while browsing Facebook. Dr. Z said MY Baby. Sometimes it doesn’t feel real. I come home to the same house as before he was born. Nothing seems to have really changed. I have to keep reminding myself to stay patient and faithful because there is a little man waiting on me to take him home as soon as he is ready.


The conversation that sparked this random thought came this afternoon. Dr. Z came to talk to us during our afternoon visit. This caught me off guard because it is not usually a good thing when the doctor sees your child for a second time during the shift. Today this was a good visit. Dr. Z was on the day Ryan had to be placed on the oscillator. He wanted to come in and give me some of the best news I’ve heard throughout Ryan’s hospital stay. He smiled wide and stated “Your baby is doing Great.” He went on to note that anytime he only has to write two routine orders in a chart that that means “Your baby is doing Great.”


Ryan is doing well. As I mentioned he had no changes to his care today. Dr. Z said that we are just waiting on him to grow. His next order of business is for Ryan to reach the 900-1000gram mark so that they can begin serious vent weaning.


Ryan was some kind of fussy this afternoon! He is requiring slightly more Ativan over the last few shifts. He hates the OETT!! It’s a good thing he isn’t strong enough to carry through with his plans. I watched him push up with his forearms and shoulders while at the same time attempting to lift his head backwards away from his breathing tube. It may be cute now but when he gets slightly stronger he will have to be watched closely or he will pull his own tube! He was so worked up at attempting to pull his tube the little vein on the side of his head looked as if it would explode!

Ryan did calm down after a round of Ativan. I hate seeing  him so worked up but it is still encouraging seeing him move all of his extremities and seem to be able to form ‘plans’ to get away from his lines/tubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment